Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Styling A Vintage Hutch: The Christmas Season

James Mont Chinoiserie Hutch, Chinoiserie hutch, how to style a James Mont chinoiserie style hutch, styling the Christmas season

Hi Friends! Ever since I purchased a limed oak James Mont chinoiserie-style hutch last spring, I've been wanting to style it on a regular basis and share it here with you on this blog.

As it happened, 'Life got in the way', as it often does, and for the most part this hutch became a repository for various tea ware items offered in my Etsy shopWhile that's still true to some extent, this is my first attempt at purposefully arranging the collectibles in my hutch in a manner that more characteristically reflects who I am. After giving it some thought, I decided that a good approach would be styling through the use of pieces that vary in type, shape, and size, yet are still consistent in color and style. Luckily, I collect a huge variety of 'stuff', and I thought that picking items with my styling decisions in mind would be a fun challenge for myself!

James Mont chinoiserie limed oak hutch, vintage James Mont chinoiserie limed oak hutch, vintage chinoiserie hutch, styling a vintage chinoiserie hutch


Choosing a color scheme of white, green and red, and a Christmas or seasonal theme, using all vintage items provided a consistent look. And having a variety of items - plates and teacups and saucers that vary in shape, size, and manufacturer - helped to tie together a miscellaneous collection of fun Christmas kitsch, such as the Santa mugs, elves and guest card holders (like the small 'Mrs. Claus' figurine), into a harmonious whole. Adding a touch of the modern world is a great way to bridge the past with the present; the paper fans (purchased at a Target department store) and the poinsettia plant displayed alongside a vintage teapot on the very top of the hutch help to accomplish that.

Here are a few close up shots, one from each shelf:

James Mont Chinoiserie Hutch, Chinoiserie hutch, how to style a James Mont chinoiserie style hutch, styling the Christmas season
James Mont Chinoiserie Hutch, Chinoiserie hutch, how to style a James Mont chinoiserie style hutch, styling the Christmas season
James Mont Chinoiserie Hutch, Chinoiserie hutch, how to style a James Mont chinoiserie style hutch, styling the Christmas season


I enjoy recording family memories, and took these photographs on Christmas Eve as part of a holiday story for a pocket photo album project. And now that I have taken down all of the Christmas decorations, and also begun putting away most of the items pictured, I realized that the photos I had taken were the beginnings of a new blog post series on styling a vintage hutch! And now, I can begin the process of figuring out what will go on these shelves next. What fun!

Thanks for reading. Soon, I hope to be able to once again share another post featuring the styling of my vintage James Mont hutch.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Under The Plum Blossom Tree | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig